my best friend

i met him last saturday at lunch with some of my fellow english teachers and some former students of ours from the summer session that we taught at. he was quiet at first and when he did speak it was only chinese. as lunch that day progressed, he became more and more comfortable speaking . . . that was the end of any shred of shyness he had possessed. the following is an account of the text message conversations we have had over the past week. the bulk of the messages came within the past couple of days (32 in total). i am flattered by his persistence and desire to be friends, but just hope that the deluge of text messages recedes and that a respectable 1 or 2 texts per day will suffice. the following are only some of the more humorous and notable of messages received:

Message 32: September 4, 19:43
"I will need English name. Will you give me?"

Message 31: September 4, 19:47
"James, oh, James, that name is cool! Call me James when you meet me next."

Message 30: September 4, 20:10
"Let us become the best friends and our friendship will be last forever. Are you agree?"

Message 29: September 6, 12:31
"How are you. I am missing you very much. Is everything okay these days?"

Message 27: September 6, 17:58
"How can we get together before you leave?"

Message 22: September 6, 18:32
"Ok I look forward to see you. After dinner we could do everything."

Message 21: September 6, 18:39
"Everything goes well! Bye! I expect that day will be a fine day!"

Message 1: September 8, 13:14
"It is up to you I will listen to you where we go."

well, i actually had to cancel dinner with him tonight because i have a meeting that was just announced (as per usual - last minute). he was sad, but i promised that we would meet once i got back from dalian. my next blog entry will probably chronicle the four day weekend i will be spending in the coastal city of dalian . . . beach, sunshine, cocktails, warm showers . . . paradise!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaah

-brian